Photography Training Courses.
Join our Bristol based Photography Training Courses and learn how to take high standard professional quality photographs.
Our courses include ; one to one training on composition, camera features and other equipment required.
We offer hourly or day rates
Sessions are tailored to what you want not what we want to teach.
What are your camera’s basic and advanced features and functions.
Learn when and why to shoot in aperture mode [AV]
Learn when and why when to shoot in speed mode [TV]
Learn how to use manual [M] mode and why it’s best?
Learn about white balance and how to select the correct ISO setting.
Learn what’s a light meter and should I have one ?
Learn about exposure compensation, what is it and why do I use it ?
Are you interested in any of the following subjects? contact me to discuss you training needs
studio lighting mixed
studio lighting high key
studio lighting low key
flash / speed light lighting
flash and ambient lighting/
Join our Facebook group for updates on courses and events
Photography training course.
- The beginner’s photography training courses are designed specifically for a DSLR, Mirrorless or Bridge camera with full manual mode. It will ween you off that silly Auto mode and help you master all the buttons and functions – you will be shooting in manual mode in no time.As advanced as modern cameras are, they will never be able to replace the need for personal choices that great photographs require. This course will teach you all the basic principles of photography and will help you make the correct choices to immediately improve your photography.This part time photography course is presented on one evening a week over five consecutive weeks, with an early morning outing with your lecturer on the Sunday before the last lesson. You are required to complete practical assignments on the course which will become an important part of your learning curve. To do the course you need a DSLR or Mirrorless camera with full manual control and a stable tripod. If you are unsure what to buy then please feel free to contact us for advice.
- The advanced digital photography training courses are an ideal next step once you have completed the Fundamentals of Photography course. You will also learn a number of amazing creative techniques that will help you lift your photography to the next level.
This part time photography course runs on one evening a week over 5 consecutive weeks, with an early Sunday morning practical outing after lesson 3. To do the course you need a DSLR camera and a tripod, and you need to have mastered the basic principles covered on the Fundamentals of Digital Photography course. There are a number of challenging practical assignments to complete at home, to reinforce the concepts taught in class.
- Understanding and mastering light
- Using colour for impact
- White Balance shifting
- Managing flare and creating starbursts
- Advanced composition
- Visual design and communication
- Macro photography
- Movement techniques
- Panning and zooming
- In-and-out of focus
- Digital pinhole photography
- Assignment review
- Low and high key photography
- Digital Black & White photography
- Painting with light theory
- Painting with light workshop
- This is a fun, early Sunday morning practical outing under the supervision of your lecturer/s
MASTERING FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY
You will learn how your flash works and what you can do to modify its light quality. The intricacies of TTL and manual flash exposure are also covered, as well as how to bounce your hot shoe flash with confidence. Lastly, you will learn how to overcome the limitations of the camera’s sync speed.
Once you have mastered these basics of flash, we will progress to using your speedlight off camera. You will learn to shoot photographs Strobist style, creating a unique look and feel achieved by the direction of the flash, using accessories and modifiers, and understanding how to combine flash and ambient light.
For the “Mastering Flash Photography” course you require an external flash unit, and need to have completed the Fundamentals of Photography course. This “Mastering Flash Photography” course consists of three 3 hour lessons.
- How flash differs from continuous light
- Controlling the pop-up flash
- Understanding the flash controls
- Understanding the external flash menu and functions
- Flash controls in your camera menu
- Red eye reduction
- Exposure principles for flash
- Exposing for flash
- Exposure for mixed light
- The inverse square law; using distance and aperture
- Guide Number and manual functions
- Bounce flash
- Controlling the characteristics of flash (diffusers & modifiers)
- Managing contrast using flash
- Synchronizing multiple external flashes with built in triggers
- Radio triggers for external flashes
- High speed Flash
- Controlling DOF using flash in bright light
- High speed triggers
- Strobe effects
- Rear sync flash
- Controlling movement effects using flash in low light
- Manipulating colour using WB, gels and light colour temperature
- Strobism & lighting effects
Having full control over your lighting is not as easy as it seems and often many hours of practice are necessary to master the studio environment. This Studio Photography course helps show you how to position, control and modify the lights, as well as how to compose that winning commercial, still life, portrait or fashion shot.
Please note that you do not need to have any studio equipment to do the course.
This advanced course is presented on one evening or morning a week over 5 consecutive weeks and you are required to complete practical assignments throughout the course, using your own studio equipment, natural light or home made light sources. The last lesson is a fun, practical workshop where you get to photograph your own set up in the studio under the supervision of your lecturers. Please note that you need to complete the Fundamentals of Photography course before enrolling for this advanced course.
- Understanding and using studio equipment
- Backgrounds and other accessories
- Properties of studio light
- Still life photography
- Theory and workshop
- Commercial photography
- Theory and workshop
- People and fashion photography
- Theory and workshop
- Practical student shoot in class